[Joey == [EMAIL PROTECTED] on Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:44:19 -0500]

>> But I am not sure whether aptitude is a good choice for d-i.

>> Surely aptitude is a great tool, but sometimes it choses some
>> pretty unlikely packets to resolve dependencies (e.g. xscreensaver
>> recommends "wordlist", which aptitude resolved by selecting
>> wcatalan instead of wamerican).

Joey> The recommends behavior could perhaps be improved.

I've found that just changing the default in aptitude to "don't
install recommends" has helped trememdously in keeping a clean debian
box.  In my unreleased mini-distro, I use the following apt-conf.conf
file:

-- begin apt-conf.conf --

aptitude "";
aptitude::UI "";
aptitude::UI::New-Package-Commands "true";
aptitude::UI::Package-Header-Format "%N %n #%B %u %o";
aptitude::UI::Package-Status-Format "%d";
aptitude::UI::Package-Display-Format "%c%a%M %p #%v%V";
aptitude::UI::Default-Grouping
"filter(missing),task,status,section(subdir,passthrough),section(topdir)";
aptitude::UI::Advance-On-Action "true";
aptitude::UI::Description-Visible-By-Default "true";
aptitude::UI::Minibuf-Download-Bar "false";
aptitude::UI::Pause-After-Download "false";
aptitude::UI::Prompt-On-Exit "false";
aptitude::UI::Exit-On-Last-Close "false";
aptitude::UI::Incremental-Search "true";
aptitude::UI::Minibuf-Prompts "true";
aptitude::UI::Menubar-Autohide "true";
aptitude::UI::HelpBar "true";
aptitude::Pkg-Display-Limit "";
aptitude::Delete-Unused-Pattern "";
aptitude::Delete-Unused "true";
aptitude::Suggests-Important "false";
aptitude::Recommends-Important "false";
aptitude::Auto-Fix-Broken "true";
aptitude::Auto-Install "true";
aptitude::Log "/var/log/aptitude";
aptitude::Warn-Not-Root "true";
aptitude::Forget-New-On-Install "false";
aptitude::Forget-New-On-Update "true";
aptitude::Display-Planned-Action "true";
aptitude::Changelog-URL-Template
"http://cgi.debian.org/cgi-bin/get-changelog?package=%s";;
aptitude::AutoClean-After-Update "true";
aptitude::Auto-Upgrade "true";

-- end --

(I recall that some of these are the defaults, just pulled into this
file for reference.)

Probably no single configuration will make even a majority of users
happy.  If I recall correctly, the aptitude maintainer is pretty happy
with the defaults, though presumably would consider changes if there
was a community uprising.

-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"We suffer primarily not from our vices or our weaknesses, but from our
 illusions.  We are haunted, not by reality, but by those images we have put
 in place of reality." - Daniel J. Boorstin