Scripsit Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 03:55:56PM +0200, Henning Makholm wrote:

[on dropping mindterm]

>> Do we have other ways to provide its functionality? I sometimes need
>> to log into my machine from net cafes, and even SSH1 is preferable to
>> telnet. :-/

> Sure, run your SSH server listening to port 443, and use putty from
> a trusted source (if running on Windows platforms). That's guarantee
> to work even if they have a fascist proxy in place (if you configure
> Putty to use its proxy).

Proxies and firewalling is not in my experience a huge trouble in
these environments; the general non-availablity of any other software
than IE (with JVM and various scripting languages) on netcafe/library
computers is.

Is putty available as a Java applet, plugin or the like? That would
solve the problem that mindterm addresses, but I doubt it.

> I would seriously advise against running SSH session in possibly
> compromised systems.

Depends on one's level of paranoia. Some people might want to not
attempt to access their machines when they are on the road; others do
not have the option or are anyhow willing to accept the risk that a
random netcafe proprietor will trojan his machines to sniff passwords.
For the latter group, SSH1 is still better than a telnet session.

--
Henning Makholm           "Larry wants to replicate all the time ... ah, no,
                   all I meant was that he likes to have a bang everywhere."