On 14/04/15 19:25, Anton Gladky wrote:
> STMicroelectronics (“ST”) grants You a [...]
> revocable, [...] license

As far as I can see, ST can revoke this license at any time, i.e. they
can say "no, we don't want to allow that any more, any further
distribution of our software is copyright infringement".

That might well be a showstopper even for non-free.

> (i) make copies, prepare derivative works [...]
> for the sole and exclusive purpose of
> developing versions of such Licensed Software only for use within the
> Product;

What is "the Product"? Most legal documents have some section where they
define abbreviated terms like "the Product" so that they don't have to
repeat the definition everywhere. If so, the document can't be
understood without that section.

This looks like discrimination against fields of endeavor (DFSG §6),
unless "the Product" is so broadly defined that it covers anything and
everything.

(ii), (iii) are similar.

> Unless otherwise explicitly stated in this Agreement, You may not
sell, assign,
> sublicense, lease, rent or otherwise distribute the Licensed Software
> for commercial purposes, in whole or in part.

They have said that you may make copies and prepare derivative works for
use within "the Product", and that you can sell them. I think that's
enough to be explicitly stating, so those parts of this clause might not
apply to "the Product", whatever that is.

They have not said you can lease or rent "the Product", unless that's
considered to be included in "otherwise distribute".

> There are some other stuff in
> Restriction which is probably also makes the license non-free.
>
> If it is so, is it OK to put the package into a non-free section
> or the license is too bad even for that?

Only the ftp-masters can give you a canonical "yes" or "no" on what
legal risk they are prepared to accept for non-free (or for that matter,
for contrib or main), but they'd almost certainly want to see the "other
stuff in Restriction" before saying anything.