On 2017-08-06 20:00:59 +0100 (+0100), Ghislain Vaillant wrote:
[...]
> You'd still have to clean the pre-built files, since they would be
> overwritten by the build system and therefore dpkg-buildpackage
> would complain if you run the build twice.
>
> So, you might as well just exclude them from the source straight
> away, no?

Repacking an upstream tarball just to avoid needing to tell
dh_install not to copy files from a particular path into the binary
package seems the wrong way around to me, but maybe I'm missing
something which makes that particularly complicated? This comes up
on debian-mentors all the time, and the general advice is to avoid
repacking tarballs unless there's a policy violation or you can get
substantial (like in the >50% range) reduction in size on especially
huge upstream tarballs. Otherwise the ability to compare the
upstream tarball from the source package to upstream release
announcements/checksums/signatures is a pretty large benefit you're
robbing from downstream recipients who might wish to take advantage
it.
--
Jeremy Stanley