> Assuming that a software problem would leave clues in the logs or be
> predictable, and a peripheral problem (i.e., the HDD) would give
> symptoms first....  Try testing the memory (hwtools pkg), checking for
> overheating (take the cover off and point a fan at the motherboard), or
> checking the power supply (remove it and take it into an electronics
> shop).

The hardware is brand new (August 1999), and top quality. I haven't had any
trouble with it until lately, really...

Abit BP6
Dual Celeron 400 (not o/c)
PC Power Cooling 300W PS.
Samsung total original -gh 128MB
IBM Ultra2 Wide LVD 9.1GB drive.
Adaptec AHA2940 U2W SCSI.
Asus V3400 16MB TNT card.
Asus 40X IDE CDROM
Plextor PlexWriter 8/20 CDR
3Com 905B-TX (I had it around).
Turtle Beach Malibu ISA sound.

The temp is low, I have a readout. Ambient is constant ~38-40C and the CPUs
are always right around 40-42C. That's NOT hot. It's in a custom chassis...

I'll test the RAM and stuff, but before all of that, what exactly should I be
looking for in the logs, and in which ones? syslog, messages, kern.log? I
really think it's software. I had thought it was netatalk, but I recently shut
it down, to see if the problem would go away. It didn't.

Thanks.
chris horn.

-----

26-Apr-00 - 14:00:02