On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:17:56 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

(...)

> Recently, someone posted something to the list and CCed me. Since I am
> subscribed to the list, I get a private e-mail for each posting to the
> list.  If a poster also CCs me, I have been used to getting two copies:
> one directly (via the CC) and one indirectly (via the list server).  But
> on this occasion, I got only one copy.

And the copy you got, was the e-mail coming from the list server or was
the direct reply? :-?

> That makes me wonder if the list server has been "smartened up"
> recently.

I hope not :-)

I prefer me (the user) to choose what to do with those e-mails.

> Perhaps a list subscriber is no longer sent a copy of a
> posting if his e-mail address is explicitly listed in the TO, CC, or BCC
> fields.  Is that the case?  If so, I wonder why that change was not made
> long ago.  It would eliminate a lot of problems. We could CC the poster
> without fear that he will get two copies and thus complain.

I have to monitor that :-?

> Does this mean that it is OK to CC people now, without a CC being
> requested?

That would be quite annoying.

> Or do many people read the list via the web interface to the
> mailing list archives without being subscribed and will still get
> annoyed if they are CCed?

I am not susbcribed, but I read/follow the list (and send posts) via
Gmane.

> I need some guidance here.  There have been a
> number of times that I have not CCed people because they didn't
> explicitly ask for it, but because they thought their problem was now
> solved, they were not looking at the list anymore and therefore didn't
> see my follow-up post offering a correction to an earlier mistake, etc.
>
> I don't want people to miss posts because they aren't looking. But
> neither do I want to annoy people.

If people do not read the list is up to them, don't you think? :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón