On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:17:56AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> Does this mean that it is OK to CC people now, without a CC
> being requested?  Or do many people read the list via the web
> interface to the mailing list archives without being subscribed
> and will still get annoyed if they are CCed?  I need some
> guidance here.  There have been a number of times that I have
> not CCed people because they didn't explicitly ask for it,
> but because they thought their problem was now solved, they
> were not looking at the list anymore and therefore didn't see
> my follow-up post offering a correction to an earlier mistake,
> etc.
>
> I don't want people to miss posts because they aren't looking.
> But neither do I want to annoy people.

It is policy not to CC unless explicitly requested, but sometimes
discretion is called for. If a poster is obviously a newbie (you can
usually tell by the content but also if the poster has not posted
before.) it shouldn't hurt, although this is fairly rare.

A lot of other lists CC on principle. The argument being that it is more
important that the recipent receive the message in a timely manner (they
may be subscribed to several mailing lists and not read them as often as
their personal mail.

--
Chris.