On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 09:17:56AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
Does this mean that it is OK to CC people now, without a CC
being requested?  Or do many people read the list via the web
interface to the mailing list archives without being subscribed
and will still get annoyed if they are CCed?  I need some
guidance here.  There have been a number of times that I have
not CCed people because they didn't explicitly ask for it,
but because they thought their problem was now solved, they
were not looking at the list anymore and therefore didn't see
my follow-up post offering a correction to an earlier mistake,
etc.

I don't want people to miss posts because they aren't looking.
But neither do I want to annoy people.

It is policy not to CC unless explicitly requested, but sometimes
discretion is called for. If a poster is obviously a newbie (you can
usually tell by the content but also if the poster has not posted
before.) it shouldn't hurt, although this is fairly rare.

A lot of other lists CC on principle. The argument being that it is more
important that the recipent receive the message in a timely manner (they
may be subscribed to several mailing lists and not read them as often as
their personal mail.

I'm afraid I messed up repeatedly on this when I made my first posts to this list. Between the number of different sets of preferences amongst the newsgroups to which I'm subscribing and getting used to a new mail client (went from Claws to Icedove) I'm probably causing a lot of disruption. (Hope I did it right this time.)