Paul E Condon wrote:
> As a matter of fact, the current rule is helpful to me in assessing
> the advice that I get. If I get a CC, I think this guy isn't a real
> DD --- I wonder if he knows what he's talking about.

Well, the only problem with that thought is that if you take a quick
look at, say, actual DD posts to debian-devel, you will find rampant
CCing. You will also probably find that DDs on debian-user sometimes CC
users who ask a question, but may not be subscribed to this list.

There are well-known and well-documented procmail and maildrop rules to
drop duplicate mails due to CCs. Anyone who is very bothered by CCs
probably uses those tools. BTW, a common result of using those rules is
for CC'd messages to only show up in the main inbox, rather than in a
mailing list's folder[1]. Which can be convenient, or annoying, depending.

So the existence of the 'no CC' rule in the mailing list code of contact
is probably best understood as being similar to the speed limit: A
well-intentioned rule, often ignored by many to most, that allows
dealing with grevious offenders, but at the cost of allowing the net
police to single out anyone who is just following along, and make their
day miserable.

(Which also explains the following rule in the code of conduct, about
not complaining publically when the CC rule is broken.)

--
see shy jo

[1] Because the CC'd copy typically arrives first, and is lacking the