On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:26:52 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Anyway, the way I've always looked at the residential side of the UPS debate
> is to ask myself this question:  Is it worth spending $100 to surge and
> power backup protect my $1000 PC and printer?  For me that answer is an
> emphatic yes.

You make a strong case.  But I come from a different perspective than
you do.  I don't have any new hardware at home.  The only piece of
equipment I bought new was a 4-port Ethernet router which cost me about
$20, I think.  Almost everything else was either given away or thrown
away or sold used for a low price.  The most expensive computer I own
cost me somewhere around $300, I think.  I bought it used 2 years ago,
and it's market value today is probably around $150-200.  All my monitors
(with the exception of those built-in to laptops) are thrown-away CRTs.
In other words, my home hardware collection consists almost exclusively
of dumpster-diver specials.  How much money am I willing to spend to
protect my hardware?  Probably not as much as you are.  Still, it would
be nice to have.  Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list.  :-)

Oh, wait.  I did buy my powered speakers new -- about 15 years
ago.  ;-)

--
  .''`.     Stephen Powell
 : :'  :