On Thursday 29 April 2010 10:54:47 Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:26:52 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > Is it worth spending $100 to
> > surge and power backup protect my $1000 PC and printer?  For me that
> > answer is an emphatic yes.
>
> You make a strong case.  But I come from a different perspective than
> you do.  I don't have any new hardware at home.  The only piece of
> equipment I bought new was a 4-port Ethernet router which cost me about
> $20, I think.  Almost everything else was either given away or thrown
> away or sold used for a low price.
>
> Oh, wait.  I did buy my powered speakers new -- about 15 years
> ago.  ;-)

A UPS probably won't last that long (the battery isn't designed for that
AFAIK).  However it is something that isn't replaced often, since power has
been fairly standard (V / Hz / Plug shape and polarity) for a while.

For those reasons and more, a working UPS is rather hard to find when
dumpster-diving.

Also, clean power should make your existing hardware last longer.  That might
be a big plus since you may be the type that never disposes of working
hardware.
b...@iguanasuicide.net                  ((_/)o o(\_))