On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:54, Stephen Powell <zlinux...@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:26:52 -0400 (EDT), Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>
>> Anyway, the way I've always looked at the residential side of the UPS debate
>> is to ask myself this question:  Is it worth spending $100 to surge and
>> power backup protect my $1000 PC and printer?  For me that answer is an
>> emphatic yes.
>
> You make a strong case.  But I come from a different perspective than
> you do.  I don't have any new hardware at home.  The only piece of
> equipment I bought new was a 4-port Ethernet router which cost me about
> $20, I think.  Almost everything else was either given away or thrown
> away or sold used for a low price.  The most expensive computer I own
> cost me somewhere around $300, I think.  I bought it used 2 years ago,
> and it's market value today is probably around $150-200.  All my monitors
> (with the exception of those built-in to laptops) are thrown-away CRTs.
> In other words, my home hardware collection consists almost exclusively
> of dumpster-diver specials.  How much money am I willing to spend to
> protect my hardware?  Probably not as much as you are.  Still, it would
> be nice to have.  Maybe I'll put it on my Christmas list.  :-)
>
> Oh, wait.  I did buy my powered speakers new -- about 15 years
> ago.  ;-)

For me, it is only partly about my hardware. It is also about my data.
I have backups, but I didn't used to, and I would just as soon not
have to go through a restore process. And even a simple power
outage that wouldn't harm hardware might at least produce the
need for a fsck (not as much of a problem with ext4, but again
I would rather avoid the situation entirely).

Furthermore most almost all power outages here are very brief,
and I end up not having to shutdown at all, which is just pure
convenience. For me, my Back-UPS XS 1000 was one of my
best computer-related purchases.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers