On Thu, Apr 29 at  9:50, Stephen Powell penned:

> I agree with John.  Stan must hobnob with an elite crowd.  I don't
> have a UPS at home either, and I don't know anyone that does.  I do
> have one at work, but even there most desktop systems aren't on it.
> The only reason that my desktop system uses the UPS is that my
> cubicle is on raised floor inside the computer room and I connected
> it myself.  Most desktop users, even at the office, are not so
> privileged.  And my employer is a very big entity, financially.
> It's not a small business.

I don't have one on my home workstation - I do on the server, and I keep
anything important on it.  I've also found that UPSes can fail
eventually, and you might not know until the brown-out from which it
doesn't protect you.  I use ext3 on the server, which has fine
erformance for my needs.  I use the OS Which Must Not Be Named on my
workstation.

(I don't have a good reason not to have a UPS on my workstation -
basically laziness.)

As far as I know, no one at my mid-sized company has a UPS on his or
her workstation.  The expectation, again, is that important data goes
on the fileserver, although for various reasons that expectation is
not always correct.  We do have the option of requesting backups for
particular directories on our workstations, but I think they're
nightly at best.  I've actually asked about getting a UPS here and
there, but given that no one else has one and that we rarely get
brownouts, let alone blackouts, I haven't pushed the question.

I do see a lot of non-techie people using laptops as their only
computer; none of those people run linux or would recognize the term
"filesystem."  Among the techie people I know (in the US, so relatively
privileged), very few use a laptop as their primary computer; it's
usually a supplement to a beefier desktop machine.

But regardless, this is back to one of those eternal tradeoffs -
performance vs. data integrity.  I see no reason I shouldn't use a UPS
*and* a journalling filesystem when the performance of that filesystem
is adequate for my needs.

--
monique