John Hasler wrote:
> Bob Proulx writes:
> > I don't think rpcbind should be priority standard these days.  I
> > wonder if it would be possible to convince people that it should be
> > demoted to installed only as a dependency instead.  Or if it is needed
> > to learn why it is still needed.
>
> Standard consists of packages that you "would be surprised not to find
> on a UNIX system".

Hmm...  That is another statement that sounds like it says something
but in reality doesn't define anything.  There are many things I would
be surprised not to find on a Unix system that isn't installed by
default.  I would be surprised not to find a C compiler and 'make'.  I
would be surprised not to find 'less'.  Also 'at', 'ed', 'mailx',
'ssh', and 'rsync'.  And I would be surprised if my list were even
close to the same list as other people.  And there is the problem with
that statement.  :-)

But the portmapper is very closely associated with Sun RPC.  If I have
not installed anything in that family then I would not expect to find
the portmapper installed.  But it certainly is a valid dependency.  I
think it would be more appropriate to have it pulled in upon needing
it as a dependency of other packages.  It is already a dependency of
nfs-common.  I would simply stop there.

Bob