Bob Proulx wrote:
> John Hasler wrote:
> > Standard consists of packages that you "would be surprised not to find
> > on a UNIX system".
>
> But the portmapper is very closely associated with Sun RPC.  If I have
> not installed anything in that family then I would not expect to find
> the portmapper installed.  But it certainly is a valid dependency.  I
> think it would be more appropriate to have it pulled in upon needing
> it as a dependency of other packages.  It is already a dependency of
> nfs-common.  I would simply stop there.

Aha!  I had forgotten about /etc/fstab.  That is the first link in the
chain of dependencies.

  man fstab

In order to support nfs mounts in /etc/fstab it needs nfs-common and
portmapper installed.  And therefore I _had_ actually installed
something, /etc/fstab, that would pull in the Sun RPC family by
default.  Hmm...

Bob