Neal Murphy wrote:
> Chris Bannister wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > Case 1: I find that someone in my family who lives in my house has
> > > rumaged through my underwear drawer.  A violation of trust has
> > > occurred.  I am unhappy and will talk with them and give them a harsh
> > > lecture.  This is not appropriate behavior.
> > >
> > > Case 2: I find someone who is not a member of my family and who does
> > > not live in my house and who I don't know has rummaged through my
> > > underwear drawer.  A very serious crime has been committed.  I live in
> > > a state where I am fully legally protected if I shoot them dead.

Obviously I was using that colorful story to illustrate the
differences between the same act committed by two different people
becomes a very different crime depending upon who is doing it.

Note that I didn't say that I *would* shoot them dead.  I said I was
fully legally protected if I did so.  Which is true of all who live in
my state regardless of their own personal politics.  All here live
under the same rule of law.  I meant that to illustrate the severity
of the crime in a colorful way.  Perhaps too colorful for the list.
Sorry about that.  What would any of us do if confronted by a burgler
in the middle of the night while we were home and woken up from a
sound sleep?  Ceratinly a terrifying situation.  Calm thinking does
not happen at such times.

The point having been made let's not commit this list to a political
discussion of the politics of it.  Please?

> > So you could shoot kids in halloween costumes for illegally being on
> > your property?
>
> An uninvited stranger in someone's home rifling through the occupants'
> belongings should expect to have a short life expectancy.
>
> There is a certain amount of responsibility involved before one exercises the
> power to use arms (with rights come responsibilities). But we begin to
> digress
> from this list's purpose.

With great power comes great responsibility.

Bob