On Wed, Aug 04, 2021 at 12:35:29PM -0400, Polyna-Maude Racicot-Summerside wrote:
> Go try IRC and you'll see that this "Gunnar" is far from a exception and
> trolling may be the rule on such system (IRC).

At the moment, I see no evidence that Gunnar is trolling, although
obviously I could be mistaken.  He seems to be struggling with the
English language, as well as the mailing list culture, as well as
the multiple technical problems he's having.

I'm guessing he has more experience with web forums, social media, or
"chat" systems than he does with mailing lists.  His approach is one
that I've seen before, fortunately not often.  What I've observed:

1) He does not take his time to compose messages and consolidate all
   of the information available.  Rather, he writes whatever thought
   he has in the moment, and sends it immediately.  If he has another
   thought 30 seconds later, he sends that as well, in a new message,
   possibly even a new thread.

2) His writing is disorganized, in a way that goes beyond struggling
   with the language.  He doesn't lay out a clear message -- "This is
   what I want to do, here is what I tried, and here is what happened."
   Even if he struggles with English, he should still be able to draw
   a basic outline of the situation.

   Most of his messages are so disjointed that I don't even attempt to
   piece together what he's asking.  I've just been deleting them.

3) He has information available that he is *not* giving us.  This is the
   most frustrating aspect.  I don't know about other readers, but this
   instantly raises red flags for me.  I immediately suspect that
   we're getting an intentionally misleading picture, and possibly
   outright lies, in addition to the omissions.

   On IRC, what this usually means is that the user in question is not
   running Debian.  And yet they want #debian to support them.  They
   *know* that they will not be supported when it becomes known that
   they're not running Debian, and yet they withhold information, they
   deceive, and they sometimes lie, all in some sort of desperate attempt
   to get support from the wrong channel.  This happens *way* too often.

Here's what I would suggest to Gunnar, and to anyone else who is not
getting the responses they want from a mailing list:

1) Only try to solve one problem at a time.  Pick the problem that you
   want to solve first, and focus exclusively on that.  Don't get
   side-tracked.

2) Put all of the information you have into one message.  If people have
   to collect your information from multiple separate messages, it
   greatly reduces the chances that people will spend the time and
   energy required to do this.

3) Take your time writing.  Mailing lists are not chat systems.  You
   will not get an answer in seconds.  The people who respond to you
   will also take their time, trying to compose a useful reply.

   Your message, and the responses to it, will be archived and available
   for the whole world to see, forever.  Try to make a good impression.

   Be sure to proofread.  Spelling, grammar, and content errors will all
   cause confusion, especially in readers who are not fluent in English,
   or who are not top-tier experts in whatever technical issue you're
   having.  If you're not fluent in English, just do the best you can.

4) Actually compose your message.  Don't just write random sentences;
   write something that's easy to follow.

   Try to structure your message the way you would structure a school
   essay.  Paragraphs should be coherent, with a main point (topic)
   and supporting details.  Events that occur in chronological sequence
   should be written that way ("first A happens, then B happens").

   Don't write more than you have to, but don't write *less* than you need
   either.  Skipping steps in your writing makes it a lot harder for
   the reader to follow.

5) Make sure your goal is clear.  The Subject: header should be a brief
   summary of your issue, and the first paragraph of the body should be
   a longer description of it.  If a random stranger can't tell what
   you're trying to do after reading the first paragraph, then your
   message isn't clear enough yet.

6) Provide all of the necessary details.  At a bare minimum, this should
   include which version of Debian you're running, because this *is* a
   Debian mailing list.  If your problem isn't about Debian, it's not
   on topic.

   If you're having a problem, you should provide enough information to
   reproduce the problem.  What steps do you perform, from start to
   finish?  What do you see/hear?  Does the problem happen every time,
   or only sometimes?  If you can reproduce the problem in a terminal
   session, then please paste that terminal session into the body of
   your message.  If the problem only happens in X or Wayland, try to
   describe what you're doing, and what's happening, as best you can.

   If you're trying to accomplish something, then there won't always
   be a description of steps taken, because you might not even know
   how to begin.  But if you *did* try something already (which didn't
   work), it would be helpful to say what you tried, and what happened,
   and how this differs from your desired outcome.

   If you're using a specific piece of software, tell us exactly what it
   is -- its name and its version number.  If it came from Debian, give
   us the Debian package's version number.  If it did *not* come from
   Debian, be sure to say this, and tell us where it came from, and its
   upstream version number.

7) If people request additional information, please provide it.  However,
   there's some judgment required here.

   Sometimes, people will request information you've already given; in
   these cases, you need to decide whether it's best to repeat yourself,
   or to point out the previous message containing the information, or
   to ignore this particular response for the moment.

   You may also want to wait a bit before providing additional information,
   in case other people ask for even more.  If you get several requests
   for information, it's usually best if you consolidate them all and
   reply with a single message that contains *all* of the additional
   information.  This goes back to the point about putting as much
   information as possible into a single message.  It's *much* easier
   to help you if all of the inforation we need is in one place.

That's probably enough for now.