On Tue, Sep 05, 2023 at 03:39:59PM -0400, Maureen L Thomas wrote:
> This is what I did and the errors it produced.
>
> root@debiandesktop-4:/home/maureen/Debian# dpkg -i
> firmware-iwlwifi_20210315-3_all.deb
> dpkg: warning: 'ldconfig' not found in PATH or not executable
> dpkg: warning: 'start-stop-daemon' not found in PATH or not executable
> dpkg: error: 2 expected programs not found in PATH or not executable
> Note: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
> /sbin

You used "su" to become root, I believe.  Unfortunately, beginning
with Debian 9, "su" with no arguments and no configuration doesn't
behave the way it used to behave.  Specifically, it no longer sets the
PATH variable properly.  And so you get the above results.

See <https://wiki.debian.org/NewInBuster#Changes> for the options
available to you.  If you wish to continue using su, I strongly recommend
creating a /etc/default/su file.