On 14/09/2023 17:30, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
Yes, XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is problematic, but as "su -" doesn't work in
GNU Screen (it yields major display issues), I presume that some
environment variables (terminal related?) are still useful.

I just have tried it. "su -" preserves TERM=screen.xterm-256color. Behavior is different from pure xterm-256color, but I have no guess what you may consider as major display issues. E.g. vim is even able to determine if background is dark or light and to adjust color scheme accordingly.