On 2023-09-14 21:25:56 +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 14/09/2023 17:30, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Yes, XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is problematic, but as "su -" doesn't work in
> > GNU Screen (it yields major display issues), I presume that some
> > environment variables (terminal related?) are still useful.
>
> I just have tried it. "su -" preserves TERM=screen.xterm-256color. Behavior
> is different from pure xterm-256color, but I have no guess what you may
> consider as major display issues. E.g. vim is even able to determine if
> background is dark or light and to adjust color scheme accordingly.

I noticed the issue just before the upgrade to bookworm (I wanted
to do that for the upgrade). But I can't reproduce it in bookworm.
So this may have been an old bug that has been fixed.

IIRC, this was text positioning issues, perhaps when recalling
commands from the history.

BTW, I don't think that the preservation of $TERM is sufficient.
Preserving $TERMINFO (when set) is important too.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>