On 2023-09-06 14:36:48 +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:
> On 06/09/2023 10:41, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> >
> > Just put "ALWAYS_SET_PATH yes" into /etc/default/su and the problem
> > is FIXED.  "su" will work properly again!
>
> Greg, you provided a valid example when "su -" is undesirable, however in
> general "su -" is safer than just "su" since it resets some user specific
> environment variables like XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/run/user/1000 that may cause
> creation of files that the original user can not overwrite them. So "su -"
> should have less unexpected effects.

Yes, XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is problematic, but as "su -" doesn't work in
GNU Screen (it yields major display issues), I presume that some
environment variables (terminal related?) are still useful.

FYI, I had written a su wrapper that unsets XDG_RUNTIME_DIR first.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vinc...@vinc17.net> - Web: <https://www.vinc17.net/>