On Wed, Nov 29, 2023 at 12:50 PM gene heskett wrote:

> Greetings all;
>
> I have a 3d printer, an arm64 controller running ambian buster
> it has an address of 169.254.xx.xx/16
> it can ping this machine but something is killing full net access, so it
> can't set its time.

With a 169.254.x.x address I'm surprised it can talk to anything else
on your network.

Your internet router is running dd-wrt - correct?
Why not enable the dhcp server software on that and serve static IP
addresses to everything on your network?
eg  https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_DHCP

Your /etc/hosts files will still work and you'll stop getting
169.254.x.x addresses assigned to your machines.

Regards,
Lee