On 12/3/23 22:05, Max Nikulin wrote:
On 02/12/2023 23:39, John Hasler wrote:
Max Nikulin wrote:
As to a GPS receiver, it should be doable and 169.254.x.y addresses
will not be an issue any more. Be careful with cables when connecting
it however: https://www.wired.com/2012/02/neutrinos-faulty-cable/

CNC machines don't need accurate time.  They need precise internal
synchronization but that isn't related to the system clocks.  The
default NTP configuration in most Linux distributions will take care of
the system clocks if they have access to the Internet.

I was kidding. However "access to the Internet" is the real trouble in this particular case. It seems, the vendor of the 3d printer believes that users must connect the device to a network having a DHCP server. ifupdown is definitely broken in armbian, perhaps armbian way to setup network is broken on this device, but Gene is not going to debug it. His stance that it is NetworkManager that breaks his network.

1. I'll retract that, while there seem to be networkmanager leftovers here and there, there is no nm present on the printer NOW that I can find. And I haven't removed it.

2. I have installed the ISC dhcpd-server on this machine, its working as expected, the printer is now inside my subnet of the 192.168.71 block.

3. I've also setup ntpsec as a server on this machine, and have the printers chrony synching to this machine but the chrony on the printer is stuck in PST, exactly 4 hours behind this machine regardless of the setting in /etc/timezone.

In addition, he is strongly against DHCP believing that it will make his network unstable.

See above, its installed and working, I've even done a small print job to prove it works.

From my point of view, it should be possible to put a file with mapping of mac addresses to desired IPs and names to his dd-wrt router. I expect that dnsmasq is running or can be installed there. Dnsmasq as a DHCP server on the router should be better than maintaining hosts files on each machine.

Two reasons, the failure of those 2 seacraates within hours of each a year ago other destroyed all records of passwd's for it, and since the rot pw was 33 chars of random numbers, I'd have to do a factory reset to a broken dd-wrt (It can't do nat) and reinstall a new dd-wrt. Its working so I won't muck with it.

So I put the dhcpd-server on this machine and it worked exact as Dan said it would. Then I enabled ntpsec to serve and thats working to the whole world. But the chrony on the printer is stuck in the PST timezone, ignoring the contents of /etc/timezone. So the printer is 4 hours behind me here on US/Eastern or America/NewYork zone, both seem to work correctly here.

So the next question is, is ntpsec serving my time, or utc. This hdware clock is supposedly set to UTC, but what is ntpsec serving? It s/b serving UTC IMO. But I'm in the dark here, haven't had to fool with this in the last 24 years.

The current state is that the 3d printer has only a 169.254.x.y link-local address configured as a fallback.

Which is now fixed.

Thanks all.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)