On 04/12/2023 11:38, John Hasler wrote:
Max Nikulin wrote:
 From my point of view, it should be possible to put a file with
mapping of mac addresses to desired IPs and names to his dd-wrt
router. I expect that dnsmasq is running or can be installed
there. Dnsmasq as a DHCP server on the router should be better than
maintaining hosts files on each machine.

dnsmasq will get the hostnames from the machines and put them in its
dns.  There is really no need to manually enter any MAC addresses or IPs
anywhere.

IP addresses may be added to some scripts or config files already. My point is that dnsmasq allows to fix IP addresses obtained by clients through DHCP. It is first step to convince that a network managed using a DHCP server is not unstable.

I suspect that had the machine been plugged into a network equipped with
a properly configured DHCP server it would just work.

Sure, but if DHCP server is not running on the router then it will be more tricky to debug next issue. Answering to questions people make enough assumptions and in home networks usually routers play this role.