On 02/12/2023 23:39, John Hasler wrote:
Max Nikulin wrote:
As to a GPS receiver, it should be doable and 169.254.x.y addresses
will not be an issue any more. Be careful with cables when connecting
it however: https://www.wired.com/2012/02/neutrinos-faulty-cable/

CNC machines don't need accurate time.  They need precise internal
synchronization but that isn't related to the system clocks.  The
default NTP configuration in most Linux distributions will take care of
the system clocks if they have access to the Internet.

I was kidding. However "access to the Internet" is the real trouble in this particular case. It seems, the vendor of the 3d printer believes that users must connect the device to a network having a DHCP server. ifupdown is definitely broken in armbian, perhaps armbian way to setup network is broken on this device, but Gene is not going to debug it. His stance that it is NetworkManager that breaks his network.

In addition, he is strongly against DHCP believing that it will make his network unstable.

From my point of view, it should be possible to put a file with mapping of mac addresses to desired IPs and names to his dd-wrt router. I expect that dnsmasq is running or can be installed there. Dnsmasq as a DHCP server on the router should be better than maintaining hosts files on each machine.

The current state is that the 3d printer has only a 169.254.x.y link-local address configured as a fallback.