On 1/14/24 12:34, Felix Miata wrote:
gene heskett composed on 2024-01-14 12:04 (UTC-0500):

# first put it where it is now & reboot
#LABEL=homesde1 /mnt/homesde1 ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 2
I have not been able to use that last line as a target for rsync

That's not unexpected. /mnt/ is intended for /temporary/ or /transient/
mounting,
while /etc/fstab is OTOH intended for routine. The explosion could have occurred
by inserting a USB stick while rsync was running and you were engaging in root
activities. As regular user, most DEs now use /run/media/<user> instead of
/tmp/.
Best anyway to find someplace besides your /mnt/ tree for that filesystem, maybe
/home/coyotebak/ or /backupdisk/.

/home/coyotebak would be in the raid, but something in the system /backupdisk/ as a mount point would not be in the raid. But I have mount points scattered about this system, literaaly all over that just work, since when is /mnt some special thing? its just an empty dir I can mount any block thing to. one furinstance is an /sshnet directory, inside of which is a few nore directories that I mount the rest of my cnc and 3d printers to using sshfs, so they are a direct link to the /home/me directories of every machine on the premises. I have a script in my private bin directory that mounts them all. I get tired of repeating my user pw while the script is running, but it just works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard
Or are you saying I should mkdir that mount point in the rad10, and then mount one of these SSD's to it? Sounds like the long way around the bush but it might work, I'll try it. But that would be forever recursive w/o excluding that dir from the copy.

And I just found in the rsync man page --bwlimit=#1024 blocks/second with optional kmg as multipliers. Maybe that is what I need, say --bwlimit=5m which would limit the destination writes to nominally half what I see dd doing toward the end of writing an iso to an u-sd card.

There is also a --exclude=PATTERN to keep it from recursing to that subdir of the raid. But why bother, move the mount point out of the raid's view by using the /mnt or /media points.

Food for experimentation, thank you Felix.

Thanks Felix.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis