On 1/14/24 20:07, David Wright wrote:
On Sun 14 Jan 2024 at 18:15:13 (-0500), gene heskett wrote:

/home/coyotebak would be in the raid, but something in the system
/backupdisk/ as a mount point would not be in the raid. But I have
mount points scattered about this system, literaaly all over that just
work, since when is /mnt some special thing?  its just an empty dir I
can mount any block thing to. one furinstance is an /sshnet directory,
inside of which is a few nore directories that I mount the rest of my
cnc and 3d printers to using sshfs, so they are a direct link to the
/home/me directories of every machine on the premises. I have a script
in my private bin directory that mounts them all. I get tired of
repeating my user pw while the script is running, but it just works.

When I save a file, I use bash-completion to help write directory
names etc, but I know where I'm going, so to speak. But I have this
idea at the back of my mind that when a GUI dialog box opens up for
you to save a file, it has an extensive look around the filesystem.
Direct links (symlinks, I assume) to networked machines is a great
way of slowing this process down, and any unresolvable names will
make things far worse. Is this a possible cause for your problem?

Cheers,
David.

That thought too has crossed my mind. readable logs might show that, but we no longer have readable logs, they are all filtered by journalctl and I wasn't invited to that semester of how to run journalctl. That manpage no doubt has that data but it is buried in a wall of text that is a sleeping pill to read.

Thanks David

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis