On 1/14/24 18:57, Felix Miata wrote:
gene heskett composed on 2024-01-14 18:39 (UTC-0500):

Felix Miata wrote:

AFAIK, nothing I wrote would be expected to have any relationship to transfer
rates. My point was entirely about suitability of /mnt/ for fstab entries.
And my point is that for a one time copy, its was handy. I didn't have
to mkdir a mount point for it.

/mnt/ is intended for one-time copies, just the ticket for that particular
exercise.
I don't recall ever mounting something to /mnt, always to a subdir in mount.

 But, fstab entries for one-time mounting is not normal, and neither are
subdirectories in /mnt/ unless a filesystem is temporarily mounted there. It's
allowed, but not particularly a product of wisdom, particularly if you forget to
undo it before rebooting without the configured filesystem available, or an
unexpected reboot occurs first. Remember your short-term memory quality?

Absolutely plus its the end of a long day for me, so the next copy try will be tomorrow. With an extra argument to rsync, --bwlimit=5m. That should limit the write to 5megs a second which should give the SSD time to process its cache.

This whole thing has just one objective, making a copy of the raid10
/home onto a single drive that I could us to edit the raid out of fstab,
substituting the single drive copy. This raid has 2 of its 4 drives
complaining to smartctl.  Get my data off it, by whatever means works.--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata

Thanks Felix.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.