Dear Kami,

Tuesday, September 17, 2002, 11:36:09 AM, you wrote:

KR> Some thoughts ... What I have seen happening to us..

KR> [1] What do you blacklist?  I think that only the IP address of the
KR> sender could be safely blacklisted.

KR> --- If I do IP then it has to be a temp file so lets say for 24 hours
KR> that IP can not send email.  Because we sure don't want to blacklist a
KR> temporary open relay.  These folks do not send email using their servers
KR> but they always use open relays.  Also majority of times

That is a sound approach.

KR> [2] What happens if someone finds the address and uses it maliciously?

KR> --- how?  I don't understand how an email can be used maliciously...
KR> They can only send email to it and to an address where they have no
KR> business of sending.

If you block based on email then your bound to even if you only do
24 hour blocks block hotmail, yahoo, netscape and eudoramail
constantly because a lot of spammers spoof those addresses.
So not a sound approach there.

KR> [3] The spammer may have already sent a lot of spam before they send to
KR> this address.

KR> --- TRUE but a great chance also exists that it is the beginning of the
KR> list or the middle.  What I see in the addresses that are sent they
KR> typically are alphabetically sorted.  So may be an address like
KR> AADoe@... Would put it on top of the list.  But regardless it is a first
KR> attempt.  If nothing is gained, I feel nothing is lost either but if it
KR> is used in their SPAM list then we have gained a lot.  I just can't see
KR> us losing anything.  In the game of Pros & Cons our loss is a lot less
KR> than our potential gain.

Yes you would have to make sure it's among the first possible hits.

/ Eje

Best regards,
 Eje Gustafsson                       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
---
The Family Entertainment Network      http://www.fament.com
Phone : 620-231-7777                  Fax   : 620-231-4066
eBay UserID : macahan
          - Your Full Time Professionals -