-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of R. Scott Perry
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 11:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [Declude.JunkMail] Passing SPAM that should be bounced

>Essentially all I am doing is acting as a gateway for another domain.
>This way they can utilize the virus scanning and spam detection we have
>in place.

Ah, I see now.  I had thought that you were acting as a backup
mailserver
(in case they were down), rather than a gateway (to scan all their
E-mail).

>What I am trying to implement is called "Acting as a gateway for
domains
>on other servers" in the manual.  Now from the manual and what you
>indicated I need to setup per domain configuration for this domain to
>get around the describe behavior (Declude would treat the mail as
>outgoing).

That is correct.

So if you are a gateway for the example.com domain, then you could set
up a
file \IMail\Declude\example.com\$default$.JunkMail that would be used
for
E-mail to @example.com (instead of the outgoing actions from the
global.cfg
file being used).

>Now the manual says this under the Acting as a gateway for domains on
>other servers heading - "The only catch as far as Declude JunkMail is
>concerned is that IMail will treat the E-mail to the gateway domain as
>outgoing mail, since it is not stored on the IMail server. Therefore,
by
>default, the outgoing actions in the \IMail\Declude\global.cfg file
will
>be used. To get around this, you can set up per-domain configuration
>files for the gateway domains."  However, when looking at the per
domain
>configuration it does not say anything about copying in the global
>config where the outgoing tests are specified.  Can you explain this in
>a little more depth to me?

It's easier to understand if you realize that the global.cfg file serves

two purposes:  [1] It handles server-wide settings (such as the
activation
code, X- headers, etc.), and [2] It has the actions that are used for
outgoing E-mail (which is handled the same way as the
\IMail\Declude\$default$.JunkMail and per-user/per-domain configuration
files).  If there is a per-user or per-domain configuration file for a
user, then Declude JunkMail will use it.  Otherwise, Declude JunkMail
will
use the \Imail\Declude\global.cfg file (if the recipient is not on the
local server - outgoing mail), or the \IMail\Declude\$default$.JunkMail
file (if the recipient is on the local server - incoming mail).

In your case, you can copy the \IMail\Declude\$default$.JunkMail file to

\IMail\Declude\example.com\$default$.JunkMail (assuming the domain that
you
are acting as a gateway for is "example.com").  If you want, you can
change
any settings in that file, which will be applied only on mail to the
example.com domain.

>Also, since you mentioned that Declude will only scan the email once.
>The behavior I am seeing now is that the message intended for the
remote
>domain is being scanned inbound.  Now if I enabled outgoing scanning -
>would it not process that mail again because it was already scanned
>inbound?

It will still only be processed once.

When the E-mail arrives, Declude JunkMail will see that it is outgoing
E-mail, and either use the actions in the \IMail\Declude\global.cfg file
or
the per-domain settings (the
\IMail\Declude\example.com\$default$.JunkMail
file).  It will not be scanned as incoming E-mail (even though it is
technically "incoming", as in it is received by the IMail server, it is
not
destined to a local user, so it will be scanned as an outgoing E-mail
rather than an incoming E-mail).

>Would it use the information it already gathered from the first scan?

It will only get scanned once.  Here's an overview of what happens:

[1] The remote mailserver connects to IMail, and gives the E-mail to
IMail.
[2] IMail starts Declude, which scans the E-mail
[3] Declude hands the E-mail back to IMail, which delivers it (either to
local user, or via SMTP to a remote recipient).

So whether the E-mail is to/from a local user, to/from a remote user,
and/or backup/gateway E-mail, it will just get scanned once.  The only
way
it would get scanned more than once is if Step 1 occurred more than
once,
which shouldn't happen (that could happen if you forward your mail to
AOL,
and then have the AOL account set to forward it back to you, for
example).