It's definitely Alligate for this purpose.

Instead of using something like Postfix or IMgate which will mostly replicate functionality found in Declude, Alligate will end up blocking things using unique functionality and it runs on Windows and uses very little CPU.

The two main features of Alligate as a pre-scanning gateway are the selective greylisting functionality, where it will greylist senders only if they appear that they might be zombies (since greylisting is really only effective against zombie spam), and the other is the internal MXRate blacklist.

I rarely block messages with permanent errors with Alligate, but by greylisting effectively, you can avoid having 95% of your E-mail traffic hit your second layer of scanning. It also does so selectively so that your legitimate E-mail will rarely hit it and cause any issues.

Matt

Bonno Bloksma wrote:
Hi,
With the amount of spam I have to throw away each day no reaching consistant levels of over 90%... I can of course get an even faster mailserver but I think I would be better of with an extra smtp server in front of my mailserver which filters the most blatant spam mail purly based on session info. What passes that server can go on to my IMail server and have more contect based filtering using Declude, Sniffer, InvURIBL etc. What would be a good first step server? I have experience with (Debian) Linux so a Linux based solution is no problem. Met vriendelijke groet,
Bonno Bloksma
senior systeembeheerder

*tio *
hogeschool hospitality en toerisme