Hi Regina,

great to see the outcome from the hackfest. Must have been a cool event.

Removing special layers is a good idea, because, as you say, z-order and
visibility are handled secretly. The only drawback that I see is when users
have placed objects on this layers and it's not shown for old documents (simply
show the layer when the file contains elements on it).
What we could need after the change is a way to manipulate the z-order of (all)
layers, so if a user creates "My layout" she can move it on top of all other at
any time.
Hiding the layer tabs is not so good as long we do not have alternatives such
as in the Navigator. As an essential feature like sheets in Calc it needs a
prominent place in the UI. But I remember requests in this direction.

Ideally you file a bug report and we discuss the issue there with all
transparency. (Meta ticket 99648 is just for keeping things together)

Cheers,
Heiko

--
Dr. Heiko Tietze