Hi all,
I have answered only to list.

Heiko Tietze schrieb am 09.04.2018 um 10:09:
Hi Regina,

great to see the outcome from the hackfest. Must have been a cool event.

Yes, sad that you could not attend.

Removing special layers is a good idea, because, as you say, z-order and
visibility are handled secretly. The only drawback that I see is when users
have placed objects on this layers and it's not shown for old documents (simply
show the layer when the file contains elements on it).

If a document file has a layer, then it is shown of cause. It is about the current handling, that if a document e.g. from a foreign application, does not have "Controls" and "Dimension lines", then they are added. Currently the user cannot get rid of these layers, although most of the users likely do not know, what purpose these layers have.

What we could need after the change is a way to manipulate the z-order of (all)
layers

Layers do not have a z-order, only objects have a z-order.

, so if a user creates "My layout" she can move it on top of all other at any time.

She cannot move a layer on top of others. But in case a feature "Mark all objects on layer" is implemented (currently out of scope) then it can be done via arrangement.

Hiding the layer tabs is not so good as long we do not have alternatives such
as in the Navigator.

We do not want to hide the layer tab in general, but only if there exists only one layer. As soon as a second layer exists, both have to be shown.

As an essential feature like sheets in Calc it needs a prominent place in the UI. But I remember requests in this direction.

And it would be an intermediate state anyway, in case switching to Navigator will in the end be implemented. But because there is currently no one working on it, such switching can last a while. Therefore we thought that hiding the tab in the one layer case would be useful.

Kind regards
Regina