On 10/17/2016 09:16 AM, mray wrote:
> <snip>

As I mentioned in the meeting today, I think a more story-oriented, less
academic approach would be preferable (though it would be good to have
rigorous academic-style explanations available somewhere for those who
want them, but probably text and images rather than video would be fine
for that).  I've drafted a script to illustrate what I mean.  It's
longish - reading it aloud took me just over 2 minutes - and I'm not
suggesting it as a final draft, but more just something to illustrate a
different approach that I think could be more engaging for a wider range
of people.  It has two voices - narrator and character, in order to
combine a personal story approach with a third-person explanatory approach:

```

{Narrator voice}

Here's a riddle for you: How is creating software, music, movies, etc,
like clearing a snowdrift?

{Character voice}

“A few years ago, the only road out of our town was blocked by a
snowdrift. If enough of us had worked together, we could have cleared it
in no time. But I wasn't going to spend hours shoveling it on my own, or
with just a few fellow shovelers. Seems everyone else felt the same way,
so the snowdrift just sat there. Nobody could get in or out of town for
days.”

“Eventually the snowdrift melted and a slick sales guy drove into town.
He offered us guaranteed snow removal in return for letting “Tolls R Us,
Incorporated” charge tolls, track our driving habits, and plaster the
roadside with 'smart' billboards that would show ads targeted to whoever
was driving by.”

“Nobody wanted tolls, surveillance, or billboards on our beautiful
scenic road. But nobody wanted to be trapped by a snowdrift again, either.”

“Just as our mayor was about to reluctantly sign on the dotted line,
some kid yelled out 'Stop! There's a better way!'”

“You know what? That kid's idea really worked! We call it
/crowdmatching/. Now, anytime a snowdrift needs clearing, a crowd of
people shows up, willing to spend 1 minute shoveling for every 10 people
who shovel too. Last time, 100 people showed up. With 100 people each
willing to shovel for 10 minutes, that poor snowdrift didn't stand a
chance!”

{Narrator voice}

You might not be too concerned about snowdrifts, but we're all actually
in a similar situation with digital goods like music, software, movies,
news, and research.

The same way it was hard for the townspeople to cooperate to clear the
snowdrift, it's hard for people to cooperate to fund creation of 'public
goods' that benefit us all.

As a result, many good things don't get created at all, while others get
encumbered with artificial restrictions, ads, and surveillance.

The Snowdrift.coop crowdmatching system creates a viable way to provide
sustainable crowdfunding for projects that create free and open public
goods.

You just make a pledge that says, "Each month, l'll chip in a little for
each person who joins me!"

Working together, we can clear the path to a free and open future for
everyone!

```