On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Benjamin Smedberg <benja...@smedbergs.us>
wrote:

> I support going back to a giant monolithic repository if we can cleanly
> delineate the code for various projects.
>
> We know that the searchability and readability of our code is a major
> barrier to some kinds of participation. We should continue to optimize
> ourselves around that workflow.
>
> Does this proposal come with a plan to check out subsets of the code? In
> particular, I want to express the following as something inbetween "serious
> concerns" and "requirements":
>
>  * The default view of dxr.mozilla.org should not include non-Firefox code
>  * The default checkout should not include non-Firefox code. (Note:
>    this is about the working tree: I don't think the space in the .hg
>    directory matters enough to worry about).
>
> - TTBOMK, Thunderbird is Mozilla's second largest project in terms of
>>    number of users, behind Firefox, and before Firefox for Android and
>>    Firefox OS.  Many of those users may legitimately want to contribute
>>    to Thunderbird, and the bar to entry is made much higher by the
>>    multi-repository setup and the extra complexity it entails. Mozilla is
>>    actively making the bar to entry for Firefox/Firefox for
>>    Android/Firefox OS contributions lower, at the expense of Thunderbird
>>    contributors. This is a sad state of affairs.
>>

> I'm sorry that it makes you sad, but Mozilla has explicitly decided to
> prioritize the bar to entry for Firefox development, and the speed of
> development of Firefox, at the expense of Thunderbird (and seamonkey). And
> as Firefox development moves faster toward things such as stopping
> supporting XUL addons, removing support for heavyweight themes, and even
> cutting XUL altogether, we should all expect the impedance mismatch to
> become worse. We are not only saying that you don't have to fix
> comm-central apps: we're also saying that we don't *want* core contributors
> to spend time on comm-central.

There is a sparse checkout extension for Mercurial at
https://bitbucket.org/facebook/hg-experimental/src/tip/sparse.py?at=default.

Google's work on narrow clone (only actually transfer data for subset of
files) is coming along at https://bitbucket.org/Google/narrowhg. This will
require support on hg.mozilla.org and maybe a flag day.

Sparse doesn't require server cooperation. Individuals could start using it
today if they wanted.