On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:13 PM, Eric Rescorla <e...@rtfm.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:11 PM, Gregory Szorc <g...@mozilla.com> wrote:

>> cleanly

>> In
>> > "serious

>> > code

>> and
>> contribute
>> Mozilla
>> > is
>> Thunderbird

>> > What's even more sad is that it's at the expense of Thunderbird (and
>> > SeaMonkey) *and* at the expense of Firefox build system changes.
>>

>> I want to reiterate my original response and what Mike said in the
>> original
>> post.
>>
>> We'll be investing pretty heavily in the Firefox build system in 2016. I
>> cannot stress enough the pain comm-central's existence as a separate
>> repository gives us when trying to make build system, mach, and automation
>> changes. It slows us down and makes our lives (and code!) more painful
>> than
>> they could be.
>>

> Can you explain why this is? Is it that the Firefox build system does not
> build the artifacts you would need to then build TB or is it that you need
> to somehow figure out how to make TB build alongside Firefox?

comm-central's build system and tools are bolted on extensions to
mozilla-central's corresponding tools, which aren't really meant to be
extended in that way. mozilla-central's build system and tools like mach
have to make special considerations for running inside comm-central. The
relationships are hacky, not very well defined, don't have much visibility,
hard to debug, and are prone to breakage. The extra code complexity to
support running things from a separate repository (which means things like
teaching tools about the existence of multiple source directories) really
weighs us down. I've lost several days to "because comm-central" issues.

As a concrete example that's come up in the past few weeks, we can't easily
make wanted changes to jar.mn files or packaging of add-ons/XPIs because it
means developing, testing, and coordinating landing of changes across
mozilla-central and comm-central. It's much easier to let sub-optimal
patterns linger in mozilla-central because the overhead of developing a
parallel set of changes for comm-central is too high. I dare say the
knowledge of impending dread from having to deal with comm-central fallout
has discouraged me from making major build system and tooling changes. This
situation passively hurts everyone.