On Wednesday 2018-07-18 12:45 -0400, Botond Ballo wrote:
> With the proposal for a standard 2D graphics library now on ice [1],
> members of the C++ standards committee have been investigating
> alternative ways of giving C++ programmers a standard way to write
> graphical and interactive applications, in a way that leverages
> existing standards and imposes a lower workload on the committee.
>
> A recent proposal along these lines is for a standard embedding
> facility called "web_view", inspired by existing embedding APIs like
> Android's WebView:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p1108r0.html
>
> As we have some experience in the embedding space here at Mozilla, I
> was wondering if anyone had feedback on this embedding library
> proposal. This is an early-stage proposal, so high-level feedback on
> the design and overall approach is likely to be welcome.

It feels like this bakes into the C++ language the idea that a
machine only ever needs a single implementation of the web platform.

I (and I think many others at Mozilla) think that users are better
served by competition among implementations of the Web's technology,
since it allows competition to better serve the interests of users
and allows more flexibility in the evolution of the platform due to
fewer mistakes getting quickly baked in to the platform by
compatibility.

This makes me think it's a bad idea to standardize a Web View API as
part of C++.

-David

             Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
             What I was walling in or walling out,