On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 12:45:30PM -0400, Botond Ballo wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> With the proposal for a standard 2D graphics library now on ice [1],
> members of the C++ standards committee have been investigating
> alternative ways of giving C++ programmers a standard way to write
> graphical and interactive applications, in a way that leverages
> existing standards and imposes a lower workload on the committee.
>
> A recent proposal along these lines is for a standard embedding
> facility called "web_view", inspired by existing embedding APIs like
> Android's WebView:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p1108r0.html
>
> As we have some experience in the embedding space here at Mozilla, I
> was wondering if anyone had feedback on this embedding library
> proposal. This is an early-stage proposal, so high-level feedback on
> the design and overall approach is likely to be welcome.

Other than everything that has already been said in this thread,
something bugs me with this proposal: a web view is a very UI thing.
And I don't think there's any proposal to add more basic UI elements
to the standard library. So even if a web view is a desirable thing in
the long term (and I'm not saying it is!), there are way more things
that should come first.

Come to think of it, don't many UI libraries come with a web view
anyways? (or is Qt the only one that does?)

Mike