On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 8:34 AM Henri Sivonen <hsivo...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I'm curious how developers of libstdc++ and libc++ view the notion of
> WebKitGTK+ as a platform capability. The C++ standard libraries are
> arguably for Linux while the "platform capability" named (WebKitGTK+)
> is arguably a Gnome thing rather than a Linux-level thing.

I spoke to a libstdc++ maintainer at the recent C++ standards meeting
in Belfast, and he indicated to me that he would be fine with adding
an optional dependency on WebKitGTK+, as long as he didn't have to
bundle it part of libstdc++, but could link to the platform's copy (if
present) instead.

I spoke to a libc++ maintainer as well, who indicated that there may
be engineering challenges related to scenarios where applications end
up linking to both libstdc++ and libc++. However, this is an issue
that affects all external C++ dependencies, and will need to be solved
going forward regardless of what happens to web_view.

Cheers,
Botond