I agree that some of this performance data is concerning but I'm not ready to
give up on OCSP just yet because I don't see any choice in the matter: OCSP
hard fail has to be done.

The fact that end entity certs can not be revoked is a major gap in Internet
security right now. That gap should be acknowledged in the problem statement
(on the wiki page) as either something that will be addressed now or something
to be ignored until a later date. I hope we are going to address it now.

In contrast, we do have a revocation mechanism for intermediate and root certs
called a browser update. Obviously that's reserved for the most egregious cases
but it is there and it does work. I imagine someone has a ready example of a
non-egregious situation ‎where intermediate revocation is necessary but the
only one I can think of is periodic tweaks to cert data...???

The other issue I have with the problem statement is that it lists optimization
goals that are separate from actually improving security. I think it's naive to
suggest we can move forward without having an effect on latency or memory or
privacy or all of the above. Obviously you want to choose a solution that
minimizes those measurements, but that's all they represent: ways to evaluate
solutions and not problems to be solved in and of themselves.

‎So, let's clarify if end entity certs are in scope for this effort and we'll
move forward from there.

Thanks.