Hi James,
I don't mean to butt in much here, but as the general "guy who fixes various
logos around here" (I re-did the current airflow logo as the other version had
bad color tearing and splotches of...I dunno what), what about perhaps taking
the best of both worlds and compromising? Using the more simple design of the
suggested logo in this thread, but making it more realistic, adding the
'button' back in, adding a bit of thickness to the wings.

I made a quick mock-up of the current, proposed, and an example compromise
version at: https://imgur.com/a/G0Bpcky

It features:
- the current logo
- the proposed logo
- an alternate compromise example

I have little to no skin in this game, but I figure if the logo is getting an
overhaul, it shouldn't just be a dichotomy between old and new :) I have them
all as SVG, so adjustments can always be made.

With regards,
Daniel (who is not on this list, so please cc if you need my attention)