Just wanted to clarify, there is already a JIRA for ongoing work on
Java 11 support.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-2530

I led the initial work on supporting what at the time was Java 9/10,
so far the biggest blockers were around the ApiSurface tests (not at
all compatible with these versions) but at the time we were at 5 tests
from getting sdks/core passing. Notice also that the scope of this
JIRA evolved to support only the LTS version (Java 11), and
specifically to support only sdks/core + direct runner. Supporting all
IOs or runners really is more a question of the dependencies working
nicely with Java 11 so this will probably take long time. Also the
idea so far does NOT include supporting the Java module system at all.

I stopped working on this during the move to gradle because it was too
hard to tackle both Java evolving and all the ongoing changes in the
build system. If somebody in the community wants to contribute in this
area it will be greatly appreciated, notice that all the work we did
on the build system for this needs to be implemented now in gradle
too.