FWIW, the issue regarding java 11 support to gradle might be helpful here
[1]. Quoting: "there are only some minor corner cases that don't work.
Overall Java 11 support is pretty solid already" but some users reported
problems in comments with Checkstyle plugin and MacOS + Gradle4.10.2 (this
might be important for us).

Łukasz

[1] https://github.com/gradle/gradle/issues/5120