Delegate implies designated authority/responsibility, more than
"maintainer" or "member", I think. The PMC role is delegated by the
ASF Board (usually lazily, upon notice by existing PMC members). So, I
think the word technically works here, but I won't argue that it's
that much better than "PMC member", but I'll point out that "member"
on its own has similar questions: member of what? The main argument
I'll make is that we don't use the word delegate in any other context,
so it's less likely to cause confusion.

Others to consider might be: associate (PMC-A) or representative (PMC
Rep, or PMC-R).

I thought "maintainer" was okay, because it implies some
responsibility for the project... rather than merely somebody who
occasionally contributes. But the wording is a bit confusing, because
you're not exactly a "PMC maintainer" or "somebody who maintains the
PMC". A maintainer would maintain the project, not the PMC for the
project. So, it's more accurate to say a "PMC member" is a "<project
name> maintainer". So, it doesn't quite work to replace the word
"member", which I think is part of the goal.

Personally, I'm not particularly fond of any of these... I don't have
a problem using the more explicit "PMC Member" either...  but these
are suggestions that might work if somebody were to really champion
one of them to help reduce confusion for non-native English speakers,
or anybody who tends to prefer nominative uses of language over
descriptive uses and needs an unambiguous shortname.