On 10/11/07, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi, Jean and Drew!
>
> Thank you, Jean, for the information on intellectual property. I have not
> stated a preference yet. I will study the material you sent me and make a
> decision. In any event, I want this tutorial to be helpful to the
> community in the same way I found OO.o to be helpful to me.
>
> I will be sending you a first draft in the next 14 hours or so. I really
> appreciate that you will want to read it. Thanks!
>
> For the following, I would like to have the working draft in one central
> location so that the different contributors (Drew and you, for now) can
> refer to the current version. OO Authors sounds like a good working option
> and I would like to go ahead.
>
> I have not subscribed to OO.o Authors (yet) but I will let you know when I
> do.
>
> Drew, thank you for your encouraging words. What is coming up now is that
> I am explaining why I have made the modeling data decisions that I do in
> the example in the tutorial. Of course, I will need your help to review
> the soundness not only of the design decisions but also of the
> justifications for them. This phase should embody the theory of the first
> part but should not take as long (maybe as little as a fifth) and will end
> with a final (and approved by you) UML diagram, the draft of a couple of
> forms and some useful reports.

OK, well I suppose you are simply talking about a UML Class model to
represent the data schema correct.

My Personal feeling is that I'm not sure using UML isn't wandering a
little bit past mid-level to advanced. A simple ER diagram would seem
more mid-level, but maybe it is really just more old school.

So - sticking with the idea that you will use UML classes to represent
the schema objects, which in this case will mean only Tables and Views
I suppose.

I will have to admit though that the question of using triggers comes
up on a regular if not frequent basis at the forum and the base users
mailing list. It is possible to use UML interaction diagrams to
represent triggers, but to create triggers for HSQLdb, embedded in
Base or not, requires the creation of a java library with static
methods.

Which comes to this. Your UML diagrams will be produced with? Are
these going to be just graphic files? If so you can do this in Draw
actually, or dia.

There is also another option however, it would use a lot more tool
then we need, but it can still be used to just produce class diagrams
( Tables and relations ) and that is NetBeans. Before I go further, I
have never used NetBeans professionally to model anything, just a few
playing around projects for myself, but it has the full UML support
package and it would allow us to share the files and make changes. The
UML module is part of what I have been playing with.

Installation is quite simple under Windows or Linux, support for
HSLQdb is there via JDBC, and we could do it by my starting the model
and sending it to you then taking you through the process to open it.
Like most things if you have something to start with just making
changes is quickly picked up.

The package can go straight from the diagram to a schema in a HSQL
database, then we just dump that to a script and pull into a Base file
- Voila! - NetBean generated Base files.

Care to jump into the deep end of the pool so to speak? Think about
it, and I will take a little more time to look at that last step. It
really should be a snap.