De : omup...@gmail.com [mailto:omup...@gmail.com] De la part de OmPrakash
Muppirala
Envoyé : lundi 24 mars 2014 23:28
À : dev@flex.apache.org
Objet : Re: ApacheCon Slides

On Mon, Mar 24, 2014 at 2:10 PM, Maurice Amsellem <
maurice.amsel...@systar.com> wrote:

> > No, it isn't about being ashamed. Given the kinds of people I met at
> > the
> one ApacheCon I went to, I biased this presentation towards folks who
> don't know Flex, AS, MXML, and Flash.
> Ok, so it's on purpose.
>
> >Hmm.  I think the whole point of FlexJS is to create a framework that
> runs without Flash and a key factor is the impact from decisions and
> statements made by Jobs and Adobe.
>
> > Are you >saying that enough time has passed that these decisions and
> statements are no longer a factor?
> >I'm not hearing that.  Folks still seem to want to make sure their
> >future
> isn't tied to Flash.
> >But I probably don't talk to as many customers as you might.
>
> It's a difficult matter, not easy to discuss by email, even more so
> writing not in my mother tongue, so sorry in advance if I get misunderstood.
>
> You can say that FlexJS will work also on JavaScript, and I think that
> alone is enough to attract people, you don't need to "shoot down" on Flash.
>
> "FlexJS is the power of MXML and AS brought to the javascript world"
> And this has nothing to do with Flash, actually, but rather on the
> current weaknesses of javascript.
>
> Once again, for many "non developers" around me,  they don't make the
> difference between Flex and Flash, and statements like this one,
> especially coming from "Apache Flex PMC" himself, could be harmful if
> they fall in "non-educated" ears.
>
> Will it decrease the value of FlexJS, if you don't say that "Flash is
> not desirable anymore"?
>
> What do others think?

I agree that there is no need to ding Flash when talking about FlexJS.  We are
pushing releases of the Flex SDK that work on top of Flash/AIR on one side.  We
don't want to be saying on the other side that it is 'not a desirable' platform.

Flash/AIR has a lot of positives(technically speaking).  The only negative it
has is that it does not run on iOS and Android browsers.  Perhaps we point to
that fact that FlexJS solves this problem so that folks can continue to keep
one single codebase for all major platforms in the world.

Thanks,
Om