Yeas, it's less twisted that way, though the meaning slightly differs.
I would refine it further:

Usually, a general-purpose programming language (like Java) is used to
prepare the data (issue database queries, do business calculations).
Then, Apache FreeMarker displays that prepared data using templates.

--
Thanks,
 Daniel Dekany