Hi Daniel,

We have already spoken about that, but IMHO I think Freemarker should
provide an LSP server. After that it will be easy to have

 * good completion, hover, etc by using Eclipse lsp4e
<https://projects.eclipse.org/projects/technology.lsp4e>
 * have syntax coloration with textmate by using tm4e
<https://github.com/eclipse/tm4e>

And it could work for other editor which supports LSP like VSCode,
WebStorm, etc

I think you (the question is who?) should spend your time with LSP
Freemarker Server. It's an hard work but it will work with a lot of
Editor/IDE.

Regard's Angelo