> I have looked at these briefly when you mentioned LSP, but two
> question aren't yet clear to me:
>
> - Can tm4e leverage information provided by lsp4e to do semantical
>   highlighting? (This will be relevant only for FM3 though, like for
>   coloring data-model variable references differently than "local"
>   variable references.)

A first I would like clarify something: LSP doesn't take care of syntax
coloration.

tm4e and lsp4e follow the same idea than VSCode:

 * manage syntax coloration with a textmate grammar.
 * manage completion, hover, etc with LSP

tm4e and lsp4e are 2 distinct projects so you cannot use some information
coming from lsp4e (some kind of AST) in tm4e.
tm4e support syntax coloration (and starts supporting language
configuration configured with a JSON file for matching bracket, etc)
with a textmate grammar. I'm not an expert with textmate grammar (uses of
advanced regexp), but you can manage the "local" variable I think
because in textmate grammar you have a "scope" context.

If you install tm4e https://github.com/eclipse/tm4e#install, you can
register the Freemarker textmate grammar
https://github.com/dcortes92/vs-freemarker/blob/master/syntaxes/ftl.tmLanguage
(with Window / Preferences -> TextMate / Grammar) and you should have
Freemarker syntax coloration

> - Can we leverage some existing HTML/JS/CSS editor functionality with this?
>   I mean something like in
>   https://github.com/angelozerr/eclipse-wtp-freemarker. (By far the
>   most often request for "FreeMarker IDE" is to do HTML syntax
>   highlighting, but then I'm sure HTML auto-completion etc. will
>   follow.)

It's a very good question:):

 * for syntax coloration with texmate, you can inject textmate grammar (ex:
Freemarker) in an existing textmate grammar (ex: HTML). I have that for
TypeScript file
which can contains angular syntax in their  @Component/template.
 * for completion, etc (LSP) I think you can apply several language server
for the same kind of file. So if you open an HTML file, it could execute
the existing HTML language server et the Freemarker language server.