Wednesday, March 7, 2018, 8:23:18 PM, Taher Alkhateeb wrote:

> Great idea. Love to help if I can

Sure, any help is welcome. If this happens, there will be a lot of
things to do:

- Package/artifact renaming (re-branding), get rid of the org.jboss
  parent artifact, replace license headers, reach the point where the
  Apache Rat report contains no problems.

- Figure out how to ensure that the plugin works on a range of Eclipse
  versions. JBoss Tools has a separate repository for each major
  Eclipse versions (Mars, Neon, Oxygen, etc.). However in practice I
  have found that "FreeMarker IDE" builds for never Eclipses work fine
  on a much older Eclipse. So I'm hoping that we will not need to
  complicate things that much. Maybe we just have to run tests on the
  oldest and newest supported Eclipse versions. (How to do that of
  course need to be figured out and documented.)

- Set up infrastructure. I guess it's not much, as we might as well
  just generate the "site" locally with Maven and manually upload it
  to (The process need
  to be documented of course.)

- Create an Eclipse Market place entry (haven't checked yet what that

- Clean up code. This plugin is a mess even compared to FM2. (;

- Fix glitches, add new features...

> On Mar 7, 2018 7:08 PM, "Daniel Dekany" <> wrote:
>> The only Eclipse plugin in reasonable state for editing FreeMarker
>> templates is "FreeMarker IDE", which is part of the JBoss Tools
>> project. See the top entry at
>>, and also
>> However, RedHat has deprecated and now removed the "FreeMarker IDE"
>> plugin from JBoss Tools and Devstudio. See:
>> freemarker-ide-in-eclipse-oxygen-jboss-tools-4-5-2-final-deprecated
>> So I think "FreeMarker IDE" should be brought over to the ASF,
>> similarly as FreeMarker-Online was. Also the Eclipse update "site"
>> should be hosted on ASF infrastructure. I have started a discussion to
>> explore this possibility, and so far it seems it's fine on their side:
>> The code is under EPL, but of course they should "contribute" the code
>> the ASF where we can replace the license with ASL2, and rename the
>> packages.
>> Technically, "FreeMarker IDE" is independent of the rest of JBoss
>> Tools, we only had to substitute (as it's not
>> in the Maven Central, it's not an acceptable dependency IMO).
>> What do you think? Will the ASF be fine with bringing over yet another
>> FreeMarker related project? Do you think it's good to do?
>> My opinion is that the more control we have over such products, the
>> easier it is to ensure that they remain maintained and available to
>> the users.
>> --
>> Thanks,
>>  Daniel Dekany